Monday, January 19, 2009


Well, here I go. After 3 months of being housebound, I've finally decided to communicate with the outside world in a more effective manner. Finley the golden retriever is an excellent companion, but a crappy conversationalist. My brain is turning to mush watching too much daytime TV, and I can't read because of my headaches. So...I thought I'd share my story.

It all started this summer. I was exhausted all the time. I couldn't make it through the day without a nap, and I was sleeping 9-10 hours a night. Since I was working full-time and going to business school at night, I figured it was just stress. Then I started to feel like I had to flu every 3 weeks or so. I would be sick as a dog on the sofa for 2 days, then recover magically. I hate going to doctors (always convinced they're just going to tell me I'm being a wuss), so I ignored it. The headaches started in June. It was as if an icepick was stabbing me behind my left ear through my left eye, and would last about 30 seconds. Agonizing and breathtakingly painful - I'd be doubled over. Now, I've always had headaches, but these were completely unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I even told David about them.

School started in September, and I spent most of my time sleeping, studying, or in class. Actually, I spent most of my time sleeping or napping, nicely interspersed with horrible headaches. One Friday in October, I woke up with severe back pain. By the next day, I couldn't stand up straight and had stabbing abdominal pains. David convinced me to go to the urgent care, who drew blood and sent me home. I was angry - I hate the doctor and I hate nebulous health issues. The clinic called the next day and said I had to come back ASAP. Next thing I knew, I was in the back of an ambulance headed for Emory hospital. I was trying to call the office and my professors while the EMT was putting in an IV - complete denial.

I spent a week at Emory Hospital, which I don't recommend. It was surreal being so close to business school, yet being stuck in a hospital bed. I had every orifice poked and prodded - let me tell you, nothing brings you closer in a relationship than a colonoscopy and a GI bleed.

They released me with some painkillers, but no diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment