Sunday, June 14, 2009

Debate

We had a wonderful dinner tonight with some good friends of ours. They have 2 kids, which is pretty typical of our friends here in Charlotte. Their kids are adorable - well behaved and cute. Yet...David and I just aren't interested in having our own kids. We love seeing all of our friends' kids, but actually having a kid at home with us - that gives us a bit of hesitation.

I understand that saying this opens us up to a lot of criticism. Couples who decide to remain childless have to answer a number of tough questions. At this point, we prefer to mentor and help kids who already have parents, but who are in need of help. The money we would spend on private school tuition, weddings, and college, could be directed to agencies in desperate need of help.

So I expect that we will hear all sorts of responses explaining that we'll "never feel full love" without kids, or that we'll never be fulfilled without kids.

I love kids, as does David. I also love and adore my husband, and I'm unwilling to mess with that dynamic.

Of course, we could change our minds. But right now, this is something we're seriously considering.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a good point. No comments from me. I love mine, but man life does change dramatically. Will be interested to see if there is an evolution in your thoughts over time, but I think you are super smart and my kid loves you as "Mentor Jen!"

    ReplyDelete